Utilizing Your Garage
Almost every home today is built with a garage as well. Most will be attached to the house, but there are several homes that will have a detached garage. In either case, a garage is an excellent place for storage. Of course, some of the first images that come to mind are boxes and boxes of stuff in almost a comical way. Unfortunately for many homeowners that is often the case, but it doesn’t have to be. Garage organization and storage are easy tasks to put off, but in order to get the best use of your space, these are necessary steps. And today, there are several companies that offer organization services that you can use. For example, Custom Garage Works offers services organization and garage storage in Haslet and Fort Worth, TX. We build custom storage systems so you can have the most efficient use of your space. For more information, call us at 214-494-9068.
Garage or Storage Building?
Fairly often, homeowners debate whether or not to rent or build a storage unit outside of their garage. Depending on the overall size of your garage, storage space can be limited. More than that, custom built systems can be quite expensive, deterring homeowners from considering or purchasing them. But storage systems can actually be a much more economical investment, at least compared to storage units. With a custom storage system, you can reduce clutter and make your storage in your garage more efficient. Even if you don’t want to invest in custom storage systems, you can always DIY something to get more accessible storage out of your garage.
Garage Storage Ideas
When it comes to storage ideas, there are a lot of options to choose from. As a homeowner, you have to decide how much you want to do yourself and how much you want to outsource to garage storage experts. Building your own storage systems can absolutely work, but you may run into the issue of reliability and longevity.
- Handy Bins: A great and inexpensive storage idea are the plastic bins you can pick up at any home supply store. They provide easy storage for multiple items and can be organized on shelves, in cabinets, or left loose throughout your garage.
- Cork or Peg Board: Another simple, and inexpensive solution, for garage storage are cork and peg boards. These provide a great place to store tools and other items that you don’t want to lose. Additionally, it keeps things from cluttering floors, drawers and shelves.
- Overhead Storage: When you are really strapped for space, overhead storage could be a good solution for you. Hiring a garage storage expert to help with planning and installation is probably the best way to go.
- Custom Shelves and Cabinets: Probably one of the best storage ideas you can work with are custom made systems. These will make sure that you are maximizing the space and preventing future clutter and chaos.
Similar to how you would hire someone to help with tree planting around your home, you will want to hire someone that knows garage storage inside and out. Whether you want a custom garage storage cabinet with doors or you just want some help organizing, there’s no shame in getting some help.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Garage Storage
- Cars and car-related tools. Just make sure everything is in storage appropriate containers and up high enough to be avoided by small children and animals.
- Paint and chemical cleaners.
- Yard and gardening tools.
- Infrequently used items
- Items that cannot handle drastic temperature changes
- Items that can leak like propane tanks
- Fragile items
- Extra refrigerators and freezers. When the weather warms up, they’ll have to work double time to keep cool which will hike up your energy bills.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best garage storage system?
- There are a lot of premade systems on the market, but the best storage system will be custom built. Companies like Custom Garage Works offer beautiful, custom built cabinets and storage systems for affordable prices.
- How much are garage cabinets?
- It depends on what you need and what will work best for your storage needs. Open-faced shelving will cost you about $100 to $150. But complete shelving and cabinetry could run you closer between $300 and $700.
- How do I organize my garage?
- The overall organization is completely up to you. The best way to start, though, is to completely clear out your garage. Remove everything and take inventory of what you have, what you need and what you plan to get rid of. Install shelves, cabinets, or a combination of the two and replace everything you are keeping.
- How much does garage shelving cost?
- DIY shelving can cost you between $50 and $75, depending on how extensive your installation is. Hiring someone to install larger, custom built shelves or just larger standard shelving units, can run you about $200.
Connect With Us Today for More Information!
For more information about garage storage in Haslet and Fort Worth, TX, look no further than Custom Garage Works. Reach out online or by calling 214-494-9068 today.