How Do I Protect My Garage Floor?
Many people who keep their vehicle in a personal garage don’t give any thought to the aesthetics or value of the floor or walls. Typically, a standard and unfinished concrete floor is functional, but has problems. They’re cold, not especially fuel efficient, and make your garage seem darker than normal. That’s why many homeowners are beginning to look into garage floor coating options for their added benefits. You may be happy to find out that if you’re tired of parking on something standard and bland, this is a great way to personalize your space. But “What Is Garage Floor Coating?” and what specific benefits could it possible add to your home?
Garage Floor Coating Benefits
- Design Benefits Concrete is drab, but garage floor coatings come in a wide array of colors and other patterns. This means you can decorate your vehicle storage however you want. Whether you’re looking for something like a bright color that reflects light and brightens up the room, or if you’re looking for a specific paint that matches the colors of the walls, you should be able to find what you’re looking for easily since there are so many styles and materials available. It’s great for people looking to build a custom garage for your home.
- Easy Installation Most floor coatings can be installed quickly and easily. A professional can pour the epoxy or paint the floor without much problem. They can ensure your garage floor coating is spread evenly and on every part of the surface, then ensure that it dries undisturbed. The installation and drying process limit your access to your garage for a few to several hours, as opposed to having a new garage floor installed which would include destroying the concrete, removing it, prepping the foundation for new concrete, pouring it, then letting it dry. A new garage floor means you won’t have access to your garage for many days, but a new floor coating can do the job for a fraction of the cost and time.
- Highly Durable Garage floor coatings protect the concrete underneath it from moisture, dirt, oil, and other problems. Many different kinds are resistant to impacts or heavy traffic, as well as general wear and tear. If it’s epoxy, you won’t have problems with water removal as it wipes up easily, your main problem will be improper installation, so always seek out professional service to minimize those chances.
- Revitalization If your current floor is old, cracked, damaged, or unsightly, a new garage floor coating is your perfect chance to give it new life without the same effort, time, or money as a full floor replacement. While ripping it out and installing a new floor would take contractors a lot of time, heavy machinery, and money, most floor coatings take approximately the time to install and dry. Add this to the many different designs, color, and other aesthetic options, and you have every opportunity to take a drab or disgusting part of your garage and make it look brand new.
- Stain Resistant Anyone with a garage and a vehicle have probably experienced an oil leak at some point. For people who park on concrete, this usually means a new and unsightly oil stain that that is never going to come out, no matter how hard you scrub, stain, or try. That’s where certain floor coatings shine, as some epoxy and other options repel most heavy-duty liquids that typically stain other materials. The only problem you would have is if the oil sits for a long time, but it should still be able to be scrubbed out if that’s the case.
Different Types of Coating and Coverings
We’ve listed off some of the benefits of typical garage floor coatings, but that doesn’t narrow down your choices as there are different styles, types, and materials for people who are asking themselves “What should I put on my garage floor?” Some people choose the simplicity of floor mats, which are fast and easy to put in place and help protect the concrete underneath, but are not waterproof since they still have edges. If that doesn’t work for you or if you find yourself asking “How do I waterproof my garage floor?” then your next choices are between an epoxy or paint garage floor coating vs tiles. Tiles take a while to install as you have to measure the entire area, lay the tiles, put in the grout, and let everything dry. If you don’t have time for that, your best options are paint or an epoxy-based garage floor coating, which can be applied quickly and will be finished once the materials dry. For the people wondering “What is the most durable garage floor paint?” it’s important to acknowledge that most garage floor paints are either latex, acrylic, or a combination of the two with a small percentage of epoxy for added durability.
What Garage Floor Coating Is Best?
For homeowners that are trying to pick the appropriate floor coating, it depends on your needs. If you’re looking to keep the underlying concrete from being damaged by wear and tear, you have plenty of options to choose from. If you are looking for waterproofing or keeping the concrete from oil stains, then paint and epoxy coatings are an excellent choice. For people who are thinking of building one and wondering “How much value does a garage add?” then you need to acknowledge an aesthetically appealing and functional garage floor looks better to potential buyers if you’re thinking of putting your house on the market. No matter what option you select, choosing a professional to install it means minimizing the chances that you will have installation related issues or damage, so while doing it yourself might seem like the cheaper option, you could end up spending more money for repairs in the near future if you make a mistake. So if you’re interested in professional garage floor coating in Haslet and Fort Worth, TX, contact the experts of Custom Garage Works at 214-494-9068 for more information today!