Updating Your Garage
When you’re preparing your home to sell, there are many standard improvements and upgrades that are known to bring higher offers from potential buyers. Remodeled and updated bathrooms and kitchens are on the top of the list. Upgrading the back deck for a luxury outdoor living area is another. But one upgrade that many homeowners do not consider is garage updates.
Why should I update my garage?
This is likely your first question. The garage is often a forgotten space. It’s there, we utilize it, but most of us aren’t getting as much usable space as we could. That’s a shame, because getting more space is something that doesn’t require adding more square footage! Read on for a few ways to gain usable space in the same space you already have with garage updates:
Adding storage is most functional garage updates that you can do. It is helpful and productive to store away things we only use on holidays, or things we just save simply because. And the storage of our every day or weekly things is important too, and organization is key.
Garage storage upgrades should start with creating a structured storage section by installing shelving for storage bins and tubs. From the floor to the ceiling, this vertical storage space will make it easy to find things because labeling these bins and tubs should be part of all garage updates!
There are probably very few garages that don’t have dangerous things in them. Automotive fluids, lawn and garden chemicals, and tools. Garage updates should include installing specialized ways to put these things out of reach for children, whether it is a locking cabinet or high upon a shelf, or a combination of both is better.
A garage is more than just a place to park our vehicles, and garage updates should take that into consideration. A double or triple-car garage can be divided up into a specific space for the car(s), and another area for an art studio, woodworking hobby, or party area complete with a bar, counter, refrigerator, and comfy seating.
Higher Resale Value
Organized garage updates increase home value. Plain and simple! Take your garage from a dull area of your home and make it functional – something a potential buyer could picture themselves using.
Spend a little money on garage updates can save you money when you use energy-efficient ideas and materials. Garage door upgrades and window upgrades can bring your home more value. Insulate the walls and attic space, then make it temperature controlled is even more value.
When you open your garage door now, it may be embarrassing as the neighbors drive or walk by. Garage updates can give you more organized space and that can give you a garage to be proud of when the doors open! A Garage floor upgrade is one of the most eye-catching things you can do that will make your neighbors envious!
There is so much technology that can make our lives easier, even in the garage. Adding technology is a big part of garage updates today. Start with new garage doors that can be opened and closed remotely from your cell phone. If you’re a car buff, add a car lift made especially for residential garages.
As a parent, it can be frustrating when the kids don’t put their stuff away or can’t get to the stuff they need or want. Garage updates should include a way for their sports equipment to be easily stored so that they’ll utilize it every time.
What can I update my garage with?
Professional organizers suggest the following as some of the best Garage Remodel Ideas you can do:
- Install and upgrade garage door(s)
- Insulate and ventilate the garage space
- Create a purposeful storage strategy
- Gain adequate, ample lighting
- Include flooring that is easy to clean
- Add more electrical outlets
- Add a walk-in door
What are the most cost-effective garage updates?
With garage updates, like any home update, you want to get the most bang for the buck, and these are what real estate professionals recommend:
- STORAGE: From vehicles and crates to lawnmowers and sports equipment, a garage can get crowded fast. But with a well-planned storage system, you have more footage available than you realize. Go vertical and don’t forget the ceiling has ample storage with hooks.
- INSULATION: Garage updates that include insulation are not overkilling! There are many benefits that you aren’t realizing, but not only will your car be protected, but all the stuff you’re storing will be safer too.
- ELECTRICAL: In a garage, updates with more electrical outlets is never going to be a waste.
- FLOORING: If your garage concrete flooring is cracked, crumbling, and stained, fix it up! Clean it, patch cracks and holes, and consider applying paint or sealer. Waterproofing the garage floor is a huge improvement that will bring a good ROI.
- DOOR: An updated garage door is the most effective improvement to the curb appeal of your home, and it doesn’t have to be the most expensive door!
So, all that being said, what are the current best garage updates? Everything we’ve discussed here can be a great choice when you’re seeking garage updates. But, if your budget needs you to pick and choose, these are the ones to focus on:
If you can only do one, determine which of the 3 is the worse condition and go with that one. If you can do all three, even better!